Kenya Trade Network Agency (KenTrade)
Creating a seamless import and export clearance process
Kenya Trade Network Agency (KenTrade) is a State Corporation under the National Treasury, which was established in January 2011 to implement and manage the National Electronic Single Window System (Kenya TradeNet System) that is designed to facilitate trade.
Kenya TradeNet System is an online platform that serves as a single entry point for parties involved in international trade and transport logistics to lodge documents or make payments electronically. KenTrade developed and implemented two electronic platforms: one that provides an integration between Partner Government Agencies (PGAs) and another that offers a dedicated portal for providing information to importers and exporters.
A robust hosted environment and network was required to operate and promote the use of electronic systems for cargo documentation and clearance.
• There was previously no single source or portal where traders could get information on procedures and levies due in cross-border trade. This led to confusion and misinformation due to different understanding and requirements from various organisations
• Manual documentation procedures resulted in delays to processing of trade documentation by respective Partner Government Agencies (PGAs)
• Due to delays in processing, congestion of cargo was experienced at the port. The congestion and slow pace of clearance has led to demurrage costs to the importers of cargo
• An MPLS management link to KenTrade offices and redundant replication links between Liquid Telecom’s hosted environments for the Kenya TradeNet system
• A hosted environment for the Kenya TradeNet system, consisting of servers, storage, links and security equipment
• Redundant point-to-point links between the primary and secondary site to enable the replication of data between the sites for high availability and fail over
• The implementation of the Kenya TradeNet system has led to substantial reduction in cargo dwell times from seven days to three days
• Using the Kenya TradeNet system, there has been a reduction in the time taken for documentation processing
• Improved exchange of information amongst key Partner Government Agencies (PGAs) due to system-to-system integrations
• Improved payment processing through integration of the Kenya TradeNet system to various payment gateways, such as mobile payment solutions, Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) iTax System and the government's eCitizen platforms
• Stakeholders can now track the progress of their documents through a dashboard by accessing the Kenya TradeNet at the comfort of their offices
“The hosted environment and network provision by Liquid Telecom has enabled us to move towards our vision of becoming a global leader in trade facilitation through innovative e-commerce solutions,”